The Ground Work therapeutic sessions are set up to focus on and support the clinical goals of each individual participant. The instructor can collaborate with the participant's case manager to set and meet these goals.
What our riders can achieve during their sessions:
- Improved communication skills- verbal/non-verbal
- better understanding of personal space and how to maintain it
- Build trust in themselves and others
- A better understanding of how their actions affect their environment
- Increased confidence level, fostering independence in everyday tasks
Ground work with horses may seem more like play than therapy – but much is accomplished with the planned activities on ground level between horses and client.– the participant can work on the ground with the horse and gain more than you would believe ! In the very unique relationship that forms between a horse and its handler -- the client can quickly come to an understanding of how their physical and emotional language and posture affects how their horse will respond to them. Horses are typically non-judgmental, have no preconceived expectations or motives, and are highly effective at mirroring attitudes and behaviors of the humans with whom they are working.
The horses are effective as tools to help clients gain self-understanding and emotional growth among many other benefits.
Just a very few of the Benefits of Ground Activities with our horses and the planned activities :
- Participants have the opportunity to practice strategies learned in traditional therapies.
- Presents the opportunity to focus on ‘one step at a time’ – small steps lead to the larger goal. Enhances problem solving skills.
- Breathing skills ~ clients learn how to use breath to slow and stop racing thoughts, negative emotions, feelings of frustration and feeling over-whelmed.
- Learning that mistakes happen – they are something which help us all learn more – not something to beat ourselves up about. If you make a mistake – you can adjust and move on from there and still remain successful ~
All of these skills are practiced within the hands on experience with our horses –
providing a real life opportunity to learn and grow in a safe controlled setting.
Time spent with the horses in a therapeutic setting impacts every aspect of a participant’s life in their
Through equine therapy participants learn more about body language, boundaries, getting needs met, problem solving, strengths, survival skills and relating to others in healthy ways.